Back from summer vacation and straight INTO THE LAB.
I brought these shoes into that super sterile environment full of science tools. And immediately discovered that these sandals are BORING. Dumb and boring. Hmmmm. RAFFIA POMS? Yes.
If you’ve ever made yarn pom poms, it’s the same basic idea.
- Boring Sandals. I got Steve Madden Dondi Black Flat Leather Sandals.
- Super Glue
- Raffia is easier in the beginning because it’s already folded over. I went with three folds, because I wanted them to be big. REALLY BIG.
- Cut off your three folds and tie the center with string as tight as you can.
- Cut a small felt square, this will help it adhere to the shoes. Raffia is hard to glue to shoes. Slice a small hole into the hole and thread the string though.
- Cut any raffia that is connected or looped and start to spread the raffia. Now is when Raffia is harder then yarn. It’s not as fluffy as yard, so not as easy to spread. I had to scrunch it to make it fill out.
- Once your pom is puffed, glue to shoe. Score the top of the sandal with your scissors, again to help adhere the pom. I scored the middle of the bottom strap near the top.
- Add a LOT of glue to the felt square AND the shoe. Press pom to shoes where you scored.
Press and press and press. AND THEN WEAR.
DIY Raffia Pom Pom Sandals. Perfect for summer and making a hushed russling sound as you walk. If you like ASMR videos, you will LOVE these sandals.